script type="text/javascript">

Followers

Saturday, July 19, 2014

PECK'S (Ratner's progeny) 455A Myrtle Ave Clinton Hill BKLYN

Theo Peck is the grandson of Ratner's owner. Ratners was on Delancey Street and I just didn't eat there ..I ate there all the time. Pierogie and potato soup and onion rolls stuffed with sauteed onions...and cherry cheese blinzes and vegi cutlets...and the worlds best french fries..lox eggs and onions...creamed spinach...

But this was my family too. Sam Hauser the waiter and Moishe the maitre'd...and Nathan the waiter who watched me grow up til i showed as an adult with Danny Kronenfeld the Exec of Henry Street settlement and there and then we figured out our grandfathers both came from Bukavina near Chernovitzy.  Aside...years later my brother and I were eating at a corned beef deli on Queens Blvd when the waiter started pouring our kreplach soup from a silver cup like those in Ratners..He pored in a way that was safe but scary. I turned to my brother..".Lane ,remind you of Nathan?" The waiter overheard: "who is Nathan?" "Waiter we grew up with at Ratners" I said. "My Father !" he said.

But now to Peck's...I only reconnoitered but with a few choice purchases I quickly learned this is the place for retail appetizers for wine or beer and pulled pork(not just dairy and not Kosher)and great soft pretzels...and pastry and super coffee( ratners and the playboy club in Ocho Rios Jamaica are the sources for my two favorite cups of coffee). What a joy and by the way Theo is clearly a mensch (google it).

Peck's on Urbanspoon


Pretzel and bread pudding to go

No comments: