script type="text/javascript">

Followers

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fess Parker...In Memoriam






There were a million Davy Crocketts arguing with each other about whose coonskin cap was more real(mine had eyes and Michael's had a leatherette top). We sang the song{Born on a mountain top in Tennessee....is that why I married Jeanne who lived on a Chatanooga mountain top?). I read books about Crockett and was a little sad to see he wasn't as tall as Fess Parker.
I liked Fess. Under the acting there was a likeable man...a little like Mr Chapman ,my math teacher...Guy Chapman. So I was pleased when my son,Corey and my daughter-in-law Allison met him at his Santa Barbara inn. And then my daughter Kim and and son-in law Patrick bought coon skin caps at Disneyland. I have been grateful for some time to Corey for being thoughtful enough to get me a signed photo autographed to ME....not eddie or roger or michael whose faux hat alone disqualified him from such a treat. I was also glad to hear from Corey that Fess came over as a warm and kind man. (Corey I think was doing a bit when he said Fess in his 80s was a little confused about whether he played someone at the Alamo or was actually there).
I keep my Fess stuff near my photo(thanks ,jeanne ) signed to me from Sid Caesar...next to some Howdy Doody puppets and lights. So you can call it Baby Boomer nostalgia...but really it all comes from a more personal time when a little boy had imaginary friends (the Benson brothers} and identified with stangers on tv and thought about who they were really.So no food link here ...
though food is love,and this is about a tribute to a man I loved who died and the love of my family who keep my childhood fantasies alive as they fill my life with the very genuine consideration and love that folks like Fess Parker held a place for. Thanks
Family ; I love you. Thanks,Fess and as Dale and Roy would say,"Happy trails."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, food IS love! i always say that, too!
-nadine